Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:06:13 -0400
From:      Tyson Boellstorff <tysonb@pionet.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: availability of 100Mb ethernet drivers

Doug Rabson wrote:

>     I think the vx driver also supports 100 Mbps operation, although I
> haven't tried it myself (I have a 3com 3C900 10/100Mbps controller,
> but on a 10 Mbps LAN).

I tried it.  It gives appalling performance (50k/sec) on a 3c905.  I can
test any fixes in this area since I still have the 3com card sitting on
my
desk but I don't particularly want to hack on this driver.

Before you go to all that work:

1) What is your BIOS version? It makes a BIG difference with this card.
2) Any 10 MB equipment on your LAN? Try it on a straight 100 MB segment,
and see if it's a switching problem.
3) All else fails, if you have a different motherboard, try it. I've
seen results that way, but no pattern to it.
4) Try another of the same card. Some switch better.
5) Try downloading & running the latest card configuration utility. I've
heard that it makes a difference.

6) Here are stats on it on an Intel Thor motherboard, 1.00.03.CN0T BIOS
(take with a grain of salt: this was a Win 95 client talking to Solaris
2.5.1 host, ran at midnight, so no traffic to speak of):

Thor 03 BIOS, get, approx 24 sec, 70 mb file, 100 mb segment.

ZDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
3                     3Com SuperStack II Port
Statistics                       3
CDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD4
3        Unit ID:         2              Port ID:
4                  3
3        Media Type:      Twisted Pair
(100BASE-TX)                            3
3
3
3  Good Frames:           13465          FCS Errors:
0            3
3  Good Octets:           861804         Alignment Errors:
0            3
3  Unicast Frames:        13464          Short Events:
0            3
3  Multicast Frames:      0              Too Long Frames:
0            3
3  Broadcast Frames:      1              Very Long Events:
0            3
3                                        Data Rate Mismatches:
0            3
3  Total Collisions:      322            Late Events:
0            3
3  Runt Frames:           0              Total Errors:
0            3
3  AutoPartitions:
0                                                    3
3
3
3
3
3                  Source Address Changes:
0                                 3
3                  Last Source Address:
00609793823C                      3
3
3
3                         CLEAR COUNTERS
CANCEL                           3
CDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD4
3
3
@DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY

Same card, same system, 10 mb segment, 33 seconds

my card, 03 bios, get, 33 sec
ZDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
3                     3Com Switch Port Traffic
Statistics                      3
CDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD4
3
3
3    Port ID:             15
(10BaseT)                                         3
3
3
3    Frames Received:     15340           Octets Received:
981760         3
3    Frames Transmitted:  31297           Octets Transmitted:
35812608       3
3
3
3    Multicasts Received: 0               Collisions:
22183          3
3    Broadcasts Received: 0               Fragments:
0              3
3
3
3    Frames Forwarded:    15340           Errors:
0              3
3    Frames Filtered:     0               IFM Count:
0              3
3
3
3  Frame Size
Analysis.                                                        3
3    64 Octets:           33   %          256 to 511 Octets:    5
%         3
3    65 to 127 Octets:    0    %          512 to 1023 Octets:   26
%         3
3    128 to 255 Octets    0    %          1024 to 1518 Octets:  36
%         3
3
3
3                   CLEAR SCREEN COUNTERS
CANCEL                     3