Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 1997 21:32:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>, michaelv@mindbender.serv.net, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2G SCSI disks?

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Stefan Esser stands accused of saying:
> > On Feb 5, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith) wrote:
> > > Hell, Michael, there's a damn good reason why I specified SCSI disk
> > > for these units.  But the $400 IBM disk I specified might as well
> > > never have existed; I have the option of an Atlas-II ($800) or a 2G
> > > 'cuda (~$1000), or I swallow my pride and happiness and go IDE.
> >
> > In some mail order price lists I found the DORS to be replaced
> > by a DCAS of same capacity and speed. The DCAS seems to be a
> > little more expensive than the DORS (some 10%), though.
>
> That's correct.  Unfortunately the DCAS units _aren't_available_ here yet.
>
> > Is the 2GB Atlas II really that expensive ?
> > I've seen it for 1075DM (which translates into US$570 if you
> > substract the local VAT of 15%) and the 4GB version is 1579DM
> > or US$840 ...
>
> US$570/0.78 -> AUD$730 + freight + markup makes about $800.

I don't know if it's of any interest or not, but Hi Tech Components of Los
Angeles has been selling the DEC DPS3210D 2.1 GB FAST SCSI-2 disks for 299
bucks.  They seem ok, I have 4 myself.  These are Quantum things (made for
DEC, but Quantum is now owned by Seagate).  They have differential
interfaces, but each comes with a differential->single ended SCSI
converter daughtercard.  I only need two of the converters, so I gave my
extras to Rod Grimes (who said he had a use for them) so you could ask him
about the interfacing.

The reason I brought it up is because it seems to _still_ be the best deal
on SCSI disks I've seen.  I don't know the disks track record with others,
but they haven't given me any problems at all.

If you use two in the same machine, there's a trick to getting them to
coexist happily (which is why I had two extra converters).

> > Regards, STefan
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au             [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
> ]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
> ]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |