Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:36:31 -0600
From:      "Jason Young" <jyoung@accessus.net>
To:        "Chuck Rock" <carock@epconline.net>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <mdickerson@officeonweb.net>
Subject:   RE: sendmail NOQUEUE: Null connection from some.domain [a.b.c.d]

A "null connection" is when sendmail gets a connection to its TCP port, and
sends its banner, and the remote client either A) closes the connection
without doing anything or B) issues only the QUIT command, which closes the
sendmail connection immediately.

Try telnetting to your mailserver port 25, and then closing the telnet
without doing anything. You'll see it.

Chuck's SNMP monitoring system is probably checking to see that the SMTP
service is up and running by connecting to its TCP port.

Jason Young
Access US Chief Network Engineer