Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 08:49:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        StevenR362@aol.com
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, sos@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM failure report.. [And SPEAK UP NOW, DAMN IT!]

> I have a 2x NEC 260 which is a known rogue.  It was one of the very
> first ATAPI drives on the market and doesn't quite meet the final draft
> version
> of the spec.  It is a slave on the second IDE interface along with a hard
> drive
> as the master device.
>
> It complains a little during the boot of FreeBSD 2.2 Alpha.
> "wdc1: unit1(atapi):<NEC        CD-ROM DRIVE:260/.1107, removable, dma,
> iordis
> atapi 1.1: invalid command phase,ireason=0x0,status=50<ready,opdone>,error 0,
>
> Surprisingly, it still seems to work okay.  I was able to mount an old 2.1R
> cdrom
> and cd around on it okay.  I'm not able to do to much more as this is a
> Windows box and the holographic shell doesn't have many tools to work with.
> My dedicated FreeBSD box doesn't have a cdrom.  I would be willing to part
> with
> it in about 10 days time.  I can UPS it to anywhere in the continental U.S.A.
> or even Canada at my expense.  Finland is straight out ;)

What About Denmark ??, I'd REALLY like to get my hands on that particular
drive. Where are you located ?? If you cannot afford to send it overhere
I'm pretty sure we can get Jordan/WC to act as middlemen (Jordan ??)
I've looked everywhere for that model, but its long go out of
production, yet still a good candidate for "wierd atapi device" :) :)

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..