Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 08:47:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: eject for JAZ drives

As Michael Smith wrote:

> > 	scsi -f /dev/rsd1.ctl -c "1b 0 0 0 2 0"
>
> Unless there's a significant difference between the rsd1.ctl and rsd1c
> device for scsi(8)'s purposes, this doesn't work.

That's surprising.  It's the same that all MO drives or CD drives are
using.

So somebody has to get their documentation then.

> Some interesting observations based on my testing this morning :
>
> - setting the 'immediate' bit in the above command crashes the 'ncr'
>   driver ("1b 1 0 0 2 0"); I get timeouts and system death.

Expected, i'd say.

> - sending a short command causes the system to eventually grind to a
>   halt ("1b 0 0 0 2") (was under X so I didn't see any console messages).

Also not unexpected.  Basically, it kills that SCSI bus for quite some
time.  Of course, it only grinds your system to a halt if the system
relies on that SCSI bus. :-/

Both are good reasons why the direct SCSI commands are only allowed
for the superuser.

--
cheers, J"org