Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:06:41 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux devel doesn't work with glibc libs

> > There's nobody actively supporting the Linux emulation libraries at the
> > moment.  If you'd like to step forward, I'd really like to talk to you
> > about it.
>
> I don't if I'm the right person and I don't know if I have the resources,
> especially time, but I do know that Linux emulation is very important for
> FreeBSD and that we get nowhere if we're all waiting for someone to do
> something... so let's talk :-)

Cool.

> Currently I don't use the ports-collection. I've downloaded Red Hat 5.2
> packages and installed them.

This is exactly what I think the port should do.  Ie., it should
proceed as follows (in the case where nothing is already installed)

 - Ensure that the Linux emulator is already running.
 - Download and install the current RedHat RPM binaries.
 - Download and install (using the just-installed RPM) the various RPMs
   that Linux applications these days are requiring.

The linux-devel port should have the linux-lib port as a prerequisite,
and should again use the Linux RPM to install the development RPMs.

> I even ported ps(1) [it was needed for Oracle
> Application Server]. I think we should build the Linux environment from Red
> Hat packages. The ports-collection should hold special ports (like ps and
> other kernel/fs-dependent tools).

Sounds reasonable.

> The biggest downside to this is that such a solution requires too much
> Linux-related knowledge. I do not want the FreeBSD user to burn their fingers
> on Red Hat packages. So maybe we should indeed offer some prefab
> collections...

Yes; this is what the linux-lib/linux-devel ports are for.  Just list
all the RPMs as distfiles, and write a custom do-install target that
does the installation work as above.

This really isn't too difficult - you're going to spend most of your
time working out which two dozen or so RPMs you want installed, but
that's about it.

If you feel like you can undertake this, start small; just pick four or
five RPMs and make the Makefile and packaging work.  Get back to us/me
here if you need any help.

Thanks!