Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:42:27 -0800
From:      Rob Lytle <europa100@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter question

> > Here's my setup:
> >
> > /etc/rc.conf
> > ipmon_enable="YES"
> > ipmon_flags="-Dns"
> >
> > /etc/syslog.conf
> > security.*          /var/log/ipfilter.log
> >

> > Make sure you don't have any other security.* facility specified in
> > /etc/syslog.conf
>
> yes, there is no other security.* facility, actually i got it working
> to log on my file (/var/log/ipfilter.log) but it also logs on
> /var/log/messages. I only want to log on my file.
>

> > > thanks
> > > --
> > > Elmer Rivera, http://www.vizcayano.com, http://youand.i.ph

I have the problem that ipmon logs to /var/log/messages and nothing
goes to /var/log/ipf.log.  Even after using the info in this thread.  I
am using local0 as was suggested for FreeBSD 6.0.  Earlier I was using
security.* which didn't work either.  I suppose that at the least, I
need to remove something from the /var/log/messages line.

Here is my syslog.conf:

*.err;kern.warning;auth.notice;mail.crit		/dev/console
*.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err	/var/log/messages
local0.*					/var/log/ipf.log
auth.info;authpriv.info				/var/log/auth.log
mail.info					/var/log/maillog
lpr.info					/var/log/lpd-errs
ftp.info					/var/log/xferlog
cron.*						/var/log/cron