Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 06:17:59 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Robert Heron <rh@mtl.pl>
Cc:        Jack Wenger <info@bentreality.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clients per Bandwidth

On Sat, 24 May 1997, Robert Heron wrote:

> I have P133 w/ 128MB, Wide SCSI and 1Mb Link. This system handles about
> 40 domains, 35 WWW virtual servers, over 200 users, public FTP server and
> 9 dial in lines with PPP - and it works pretty good with FreeBSD 2.1.7.
> I think, that in your case the only limitation may be the 128 ISDN link.
> Hardware should work good for even up-to 100 WWW virtual servers if you don't
> have other services and your WWW sites are not so overloaded like
> www.micro$oft.com or www.winsite.com :-)

I have a P133, 48MB, SCSI-2 and 512kbps link and I support almost 200
webservers, with only 25% utilisation outbound over the busiest hour.
(there are lots of inbound things which would account for almost 10
points of that 25% outbound, so call it 20%)
In other words, I could *just* work with a 128kbps link for my web servers.
25% of my web traffic is generated by 5 of the web servers (3% of
customers); all the rest of the customers generate profit.

Danny