Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 23:18:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux vs BSD

Hello BSDaemons,

BACKGROUND
  I frequently encounter the question "Linux vs BSD" from people who use
neither. A simple question, but without a simple answer. A credible answer
requires a person well versed in both systems without a 'religious' bias.

  In discussing this topic with two of my brothers it occurred to me just
how much is actually common to both systems. For example, an end-user
sees the same X11R6 in each case (recompiled for each O.S.), the same
Bash, a programmer uses the same gcc, an administrator uses the same
sendmail, named, samba, etc.

IDEA
  I think a web page that lists, side by side, many of the components of a
"Linux Distribution" and that of a FreeBSD 'distribution' (and NetBSD and
OpenBSD) might be very interesting, and a useful reference for discussing
"Linux vs BSD". Such a web page would show, without bias or bashing, just
how much is in common, and just what is different.

DISCUSSION
  Linux is getting much positive press, a very good thing, but it does put
BSD advocates in the position of "selling uphill" when presenting BSD
as a preferred solution. All of those books at the bookstore, and the
articles in the press make a newcomer wary of FreeBSD. "Why not just 'go
with the flow' and use Linux?"

  If the newcomer could easily see just how much is in common, they
might realize that their choice was not as critical or irrevocable as they
might think. It might help to convince newcomers that "BSD is a
'safe' choice, as is Linux" because most of the skills you learn and use
can move immediately to the other platform.
  Once convinced of that, it is possible to escape the "bandwagon shadow"
of Linux and discuss the merits and uniqueness of BSD.

QUESTION
  Do other BSDaemons think this idea has merit?
Has it been done before?

I KNOW I WILL REGRET THIS BUT,
  If there is support for this idea, I will volunteer to do it, or at
least start it, with help from others, especially those more knowledgeable
than myself.

SUMMARY
  Unlike the path with Microsoft software, a decision to use Linux does
not preclude somebody from moving to BSD relatively easily - or
vice-versa.
  A choice in open source operating systems is a strength. It can
help both BSD and Linux. My thought is to exploit that strength, and help
people feel comfortable about choosing BSD.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat

P.S.
  As I am sure it is with other volunteers on FreeBSD, I really don't
have time to do this. Nevertheless, I'll give it a go if others think it
might have a place, and has not yet been done.
  "There is no such thing as a Free Lunch" and the same is true of BSD.
Perhaps this can be a small contribution I can make, as I am thrilled to
learn and use FreeBSD after years of enjoyment with OS/2.