Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:12:14 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, crh@outpost.co.nz
Subject:   Re: Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!)

>>  There's a lot that's good about engendering that type of advocacy.
>>  UNIX itself owes its success largely to its introduction into
>>  academia early on.
>>
>>  Jordan, however, deplores that type of advocacy and says he will,
>>  in fact, discourage it.
>
>Ahh, no, I doubt that, I don't think Jordan (yeesh, I'd be getting sick of
>having words put in my mouth by now if I where him 8-) is going to discourage
>the installation of FreeBSD in acadaemia..

   Jordan (via WC CDROM) has given thousands of FreeBSD CDROMs to academia,
and many of us have worked hard to get FreeBSD into the coursework at
various universities. It's really offensive to read accusations of complacency
(or worse) about what we've done in this area.
   I can't help but wonder if Brett (and others) have any idea what goes
on behind the scenes, especially when it comes to Jordan's FreeBSD promotion
efforts. Based on what I've been reading the last couple of days, it's clear
that there is a tremendous under-appreciation or total ignorance about it.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com