Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:04:43 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD doesn't recognize last network interface

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 05:36 pm, Brett Glass wrote:
> I posted this to -questions, but haven't gotten a response, so I'm
> posting here, where the network gurus hang out, as well. I'm
> configuring a box with six Ethernet interfaces. Two are on the
> motherboard and four are on two Dell/Intel dual NICs. The machine
> recognizes only five out of the six at boot time. There should be an
> fxp5 -- it's on the same card as the interface that becomes fxp4! --
> but there isn't. I did a boot -v with the FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE GENERIC
> kernel to expose the PnP information; it appears below. Can anyone tell
> me why fxp2 and fxp3 (which are together on one PCI card) are
> recognized, but fxp5 (which is on the same card as fxp4) doesn't show
> up at boot time or thereafter?
>
> --Brett Glass

It found the PCI<->PCI bridge on the card, and the first interface.

Have you tried this card on it's own, to be certain the card is OK?

If so, I wonder if the machine is out of some critical resource (irqs?)
required to configure the card.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com