Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:50:55 +0200
From:      "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        "Ross Lippert" <ripper@eskimo.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KDE multimedia 2.x.x and artsd (4.3-RELEASE)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross Lippert" <ripper@eskimo.com>
Subject: KDE multimedia 2.x.x and artsd (4.3-RELEASE)

> Speaking of broken mpeg playback, I have noticed that kde's
> artsd does play nice with other mpeg players (xmms, mpg123),
> in that it seems to open and then hang on to /dev/dsp and
> I just need to killall artsd to get these players to work.
>
> Is that also a result of the threading problem (artsd is
> perhaps hanging and not letting go of /dev/dsp?)

I might have gotten this wrong, but I think this is by design. Artsd
seems to grab /dev/dsp and hangs on to it, assuming everything that
wants to produce some sounds will use it's API - the idea is to enable
multiple applications to produce sound (or at least access the output
devices), instead of having one OSS application playing and everything
else being locked out. There are two solutions to this problem:

1.) If you're happy with the old way of "one app gets /dev/dsp and
everything else will just have to wait", you can disable artsd
autostarting itself in the kde controlpanel (this will probably mute
kde itself).

2.) With kde comes a wrapper application called "artsdsp". With this
wrapper application you should be able to run any OSS application
through artsd without the OSS app knowing it. The wrapper even has an
ESD compatible mode ("artsdsp esd").

For xmms, there is an artsd output-plugin available.

Greetings,

Michael Nottebrock