Date:      15 Jun 1999 13:20:47 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bde?

naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber) writes:
> Nathan Ahlstrom <nrahlstr@winternet.com> wrote:
> > No committers/core person has ever met Bruce Evans?
> For us poor users who are neither core nor committers: just how does
> Bruce Evans fit into the FreeBSD development crowd and process? What
> does he do?

Like Nathan says, he kicks ass :)

Specifically, he kicks committers' asses if they commit incorrect,
inelegant or poorly formatted patches. In a sense, he's our QA guy.
Guardian of style(9). The Bruce Filter. To brucify means to commit a
style fix after Bruce has pointed out style or formatting bugs in a
previous commit. Brucifixion is what happens to you when Bruce has to
explain to you why your commit was wrong, in such detail that you feel
like a kid whose father sighs deeply, sits down and patiently expounds
the error of your ways, and can almost hear his sigh across 12,000
miles of ocean and mountains. To (mis)quote John Lennon:

		    Well, you know it ain't easy,
		     You know how hard it can be;
		       The way things are going
		      They're gonna brucify me!

We all love him, though he's hard to get used to at first. In the
words of Jordan Hubbard (from an IRC conversation between Jordan,
Eivind and myself about the teachings of Our Prophet Bruce):

[12:46] <jkh> _DES: The Book of Bruce has only one sentence in it, and it says
"the actual directives of my cult are left as an exercise for the reader.
Good luck."
[12:47] <EE> jkh: does it really include the 'good luck' part?
[12:47] <jkh> EE: OK, I made that part up.
[12:47] <jkh> EE: I figured it should sound a bit more cheery than how Bruce
initially dictated it to me.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no