Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:09:45 -0500
From:      Ben Pitzer <uncleben@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Number Nine Revolution IV video cards

Hello!

I'm just curious if anyone has had any luck with Number Nine Revolution IV
video cards and X windows?  I'd like to install FreeBSD on my machine at
work, but unfortunately, I can't seem to make anything work with the video
card that I have.  It's actually a dual card/dual monitor setup that works
great with NT, but I'd be perfectly happy getting one monitor working with
FreeBSD.  According to the information that I saw on www.xfree86.org, there
may be some minimal support for the hardware, but I can't seem to make it
work.  The GUI is just flat UGLY, and it goes haywire everytime I move a
window, scroll in a terminal window, or do just about anything else.  I've
tried changing the XF86Config file, adding in the following lines:

Option "dac_8_bit"
Option "no_accel"
Option "sync_on_green"

I restarted my X session, and it was no good.  I can't even get the monitor
to light now, and have to CTRL-ALT-Backspace out of it.  I ran through
xf86config, to no avail.  Evidently, I didn't get XF86Setup with this ftp
install (I'll confess, I was using an installation of Red Hat for the first
try, but I'd rather use FreeBSD, assuming I can get the X Windows working).

In all, I'd like to find a patch, or some configuration ideas for this
card, to get it working.  If any of you have any ideas, or have code, or
can find code to compile into the kernel that might help, I'd be VERY
grateful.  Anything to get NT off of my box, and out of my life.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ben Pitzer
uncleben@mindspring.com

"I would rather be ashes than dust.  I would rather that my spark should
burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot.  I would rather
be a superb meteorite, every atom of me in maginficent glow, than a sleepy,
permanent planet.  The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.  I
will not waste my days by trying to prolong them.  I will use my time."

-Jack London