Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 09:00:26 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Nocturne wrote:

> "Matthew D. Fuller" wrote:
> > shipping systems with Linux.  They've pretty well hit critical mass, and
> > it's just going to snowball.  The mainstream market has found it's
> > blue-eyed baby boy.
>
> One really key thing about popularity and mainstream explosions is that
> they acid test the product.  Any flaws are going to show up *real* fast.

And, with the number of developers over in that camp, they get *fixed*
real fast too...

The problem, as I see it, is in a statement Jordan made in response to a
question I made a few weeks back, after buying this really nice Video
card...we aren't even looking at the desktop market anymore.  Except, the
server market is such a small one in comparison, our visibility is small.

Here's a thought...due to the whole QT licensing issue a while back, KDE
appears to have gotten a bad name in the Linux community.  I believe
RedHat went from distributing/backing KDE to moving tover to Gnome, as a
result...now that that issue is under-the-bridge, so to say, why don't we
jump behind the KDE developers?  Start a 'freebsd-kde' mailing list...I
personally think that KDE makes for a nice, easy, desktop environment ...
supporting that project might be the direction required to get us *into*
the desktop environment.

An odd question, but ... who do *we* support?  Projects wise...is there a
list?  For instance, FreeBSD, Inc is, in my opinion, making an investment
into Applixware, through the port...I'm planning on picking that up once
its released, as a method of showing support for such endeavors in the
future.

Here's one...how about coming up with some way of showing physical numbers
of sales to hardware/software vendors?  For instance, I just picked up a
Creative Graphics RivaTNT card...beautiful thing, but, of course, none of
the advanced features are supported by FreeBSD.  Its in my FreeBSD machine
though...somehow provide a means of listing it as a "FreeBSD Sale".
Someone else mentioned that one before, where they bought software, but
only if the company would register it as a FreeBSD sale, even though it
was a Linux version running under emulation?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org