Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:16:58 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        James Hicks <ytwok_karate@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: freebsd curiosity]

On Thursday 09 January 2003 09:52 pm, paul beard wrote:

> First of all,  is freebsd a real UNIX? By that I'm asking whether or not
> there is real UNIX code in it or is it a clone just like linux is?

There are two ways to look at this. First, is FreeBSD eligible to use the UNIX
trademark? No, we haven't put forth the thousands of dollars required to get
approval from the Open Group. Second, does FreeBSD have a UNIX pedigree? Yes!
FreeBSD is a direct descendent of 4.4BSD, a real UNIX. It may not be a "real"
UNIX, but it is much closer to UNIX than any Linux ever will be.

If you want a Free and Open Source operating system that's as close to "real"
UNIX as possible, the BSD's are the way to go.

> Second, what type of file system does it use? Does it have a journaling one
> like ext3? Do UNIX systems require any kind of defrag?

FreeBSD uses the UFS file system. It is a part of the operating system, and
not a third party module like ext2/3, reiserfs, xfs, etc. It doesn't have a
defrag, because it doesn't need one (neither do any of the Linux
filesystems).

As to journaling file systems, you need to ask yourself "do I need one?" A
genuine purebred JFS is something the average user does not need.FreeBSD uses
a different system called "softupdates", which does most of what you want
with a JFS anyway.

> I have also read that a lot of sysadmins are nervous of putting mission
> critical apps on a enterprise linux system and prefer to use freebsd. What
> is the problem that I'm hearing that linux has?

"Mission critical application" is yet another buzzword. It means different
things to different people. At some companies the mission critical
application is Microsoft Outlook! So let's look at it from a different
direction. Which OS would you trust to run your business?

I would choose FreeBSD (or maybe NetBSD) over Linux any day. This isn't to say
that Linux is bad, it's just that FreeBSD is better. Take a look at the
uptimes as reported by NetCraft. Take a look at the number of exploits found
for FreeBSD versus Linux.

Also take a look at the design. FreeBSD is a single unified operating system
with complete documentation. All the parts of the system are part of a the
same project, and designed to work together. On the other hand Linux is a
disparate collection of parts built by separate projects, and shoehorned
together by a bunch of distributions.

> I look forward to your reply. Thanks

Don't trust me, trust yourself. Install and use FreeBSD for an extended period
of time. It won't cost you a dime, and even if you end up preferring Linux,
at least your UNIX education will have a bit more depth.

David