Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:38:56 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com>, Mikel King <mikel.king@olivent.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: best FBSD version for commercial use.

--=-=-=

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 21:40:32 +0200, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> But allow me a follow-up question: Is 8.0-RC1 already recommendable
> for a home desktop, or would 7.2 be the version of choice? I'm asking
> this because of the many improvements especially the USB subsystem has
> gotten in 8 which would be important for the "plug and play
> experience" for USB devices...

There are a few rough edges that you may or may not hit by testing the
pre-release RC versions.  They are mostly related to recent work in
networking code, USB disk detection at boot time and a couple of other
annoyances.  So if you can help with the testing of these pre-release
snapshots it may be worth to prepare for at least *some* problems with
the latest 8.X-STABLE code.

Having said that, the release engineering team is actively working to
get these issues resolved.  The FreeBSD Wiki shows a list of things that
the RE team know as `being fixed and still being researched' at:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/8.0TODO/#head-4fd8d27523492bffb9c0064bf41575c6db8fd194

Having said that, it is worth noting that if you can _help_ by running
one of the RC versions and reporting back to us, you are more than
welcome.  The more testing the RC versions get, the greater number of
pre-release issues we will discover and fix _before_ the final images
are cut.

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--