Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:55:52 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>, Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: signal 11 faq entry

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 04:57:23PM +0100, Steve Roome wrote:
> Following a recent discussion on -stable, I've got a revised entry for
> the signal 11 section in the FAQ, and I'm asking for a bit of
> feedback, I've not cc'd to -stable for fear of things getting out of
> hand, again, which is what I was hoping to avert in the future.

Not bad.  I'd probably expand I couple of sections.

   [...]
   bits of code.

   In particular, a dead giveaway that this is *not* a FreeBSD bug is if
   you see the problem when you're compiling a program, but the activity
   that the compiler's carrying out changes each time.

   For example, suppose you're running "make buildworld", and the
   compile fails trying to compile ls.c in to ls.o.  If then run "make
   buildworld" again, and the compile fails in the same place then this
   is a broken build -- try updating your sources and try again.  If the
   compile fails elsewhere then this is almost certainly hardware.

   [...]

   In the case of b) you will need to verify that it's not your hardware
   that's at fault.

   Common causes of this include:

     1.  Hard disks running too hot.  Check the fans in your case.

     2.  The processor running too hot.  This might be because you've
	 overclocked the processor (in which case, stop doing that).  Or
	 the fan on the processor might have died.

     3.  Dodgy memory, and/or motherboards.  If you have multiple memory
	 SIMMS installed then pull one out and try again.  If everything
	 works now then you've got a bad SIMM.  If it fails again, pull
	 out another chip, and so on, until you identify the SIMM.

	 Some motherboards are also known to have problems if you fill
	 up all the memory banks.

   [...]

What do you think?