Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:00:03 -0600
From:      "Andrew Gould" <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: [OT] printing question

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:

> Your best bet for printer compatibility is to ensure that it's available
> as a network device rather than having to connect to it directly, and
> that it's a Postscript printer.  If you want to get a printer and connect
> it directly to your Mac, and you're sure it'll work with your Mac, then
> you should be able to share it with the rest of the network without
> problems -- as long as it's a Postscript printer.  If it isn't, you may
> have to do some digging to determine whether other computers on the
> network will be able to use the shared printer at all, including FreeBSD
> systems.
>
> Alas, I know basically nothing about the Epson Artisan 800.  I'm happy
> with my HP laser printer connected directly to the network.
>
> --
> Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
> Quoth Albert Camus: "An intellectual is someone whose mind watches
> itself."

Thanks to all for the advice.

So the bottom line is:  "Get a postscript printer."  They're rather
expensive.  It may be worth the inconvenience of sharing drive space and
printing from the Mac via VNC window.  ;-)

Now, if I had money to waste.......... I just discovered that those really
cool, wide format printers used at many photo printing shops are postscript
printers!!!!  Imagine the font size you could use on a 20"x30" memo.

Andrew