Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 19:40:05 +0000
From:      "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Ultra] Compiler, again

> On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Paolo Di Francesco wrote:
>
> > > I prefer GNU make to BSD make, but it's still not good advice.
> > > FreeBSD uses BSD make, and if we start requiring two different makes
> > > to build the product, we're going to have both procedural trouble and
> > > lots of resistance from the core team.

> I agree emphatically with staying with BSD make. This -is- BSD that we're
> porting after all. Starting down the path of gmake will only make it more
> difficult later.

I don't know. Comments from freebsd-core team? Differences using the BSD make?
Problems? 8(

> > In the future, we can use gcc if it will support UltraSparc, but now
> > no egcs no UltraFreeBSD. For the userland maybe we will have more
> > problems. Anything will be compiled with egcs if gcc does not support
> > Ultra, and this means we cannot distribute sources and the compiler,
> > because we must use gcc for the userland.  (I think)

> gcc supports sparc64-elf. I have gcc-2.7.2 built as a cross-compiler for
> sparc64-elf (actually, I have the entire toolchain built). FreeBSD is
> still using gcc-2.7.x as a compiler, so it probably won't be too difficult
> to integrate sparc64 support.

Ok, how? 8)

> I'll see if I can throw together some documentation by the end of the
> weekend on how to build the toolchain.

Please, do it! Just few questions:

1) do we really need the toolchain? I have downloaded gcc2.8 and I found this
in the Install file

Configurations Supported by GNU CC
==================================

   Here are the possible CPU types:

     1750a, a29k, alpha, arm, cN, clipper, dsp16xx, elxsi, h8300,
     hppa1.0, hppa1.1, i370, i386, i486, i586, i860, i960, m32r,
     m68000, m68k, m88k, mips, mipsel, mips64, mips64el, ns32k,
     powerpc, powerpcle, pyramid, romp, rs6000, sh, sparc, sparclite,
     sparc64, vax, we32k.

Note: sparc64!

So does we need the toolchain? What is exactly the toolchain?

2) Can we use the gcc2.8?

3) Differences between gcc2.8 and toolchain?

4) Crosscompiling from i386 platforms: I have read the cross-compiling section
from the same document, and it does not seem a good idea 8(
This means I need an AXi motherboard! 8((

5) Have you done experiments with the booting part?

6) Can you put everything on-line somewhere?  (documents, the toolchain, etc..)

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _
 ->B<-   All Recycled Bytes Message ...