Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 02:09:20 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Dell Inspiron

> > The PC Card software should, by default, choose available interrupts
> > for PC Cards by default.
>
> And how would it do that, given that FreeBSD doesn't have drivers for
> at least one or two pieces of hardware in the laptops, as well as the
> fact that many drivers require BIOS support to work correctly.
>
> WinXX gets away with this because it can call BIOS functions, and
> hardware vendors supply their own drivers to the OS vendor.

Actually, we can get away with this as well, and we do.  With the PnP
probes and the 'unknown' placeholder, it's not all that hard to get at
the relevant information.  The *availability* of a given set of
interrupts to the PCIC is not so trivial to determine, unfortunately. 8(

Then again, I seem to remember that Brett was all for being able to boot
FreeBSD after DOS has started, which would immediately remove our ability
to do this, so perhaps he might want to sort his priorities out. 8)