Date:      27 Mar 1997 10:25:07 +0000
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originat.demon.co.uk>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Anniversary

j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:

> As Guy Helmer wrote:
>
> > It's been five years this month since FreeBSD's ancestor, 386BSD 0.0, hit
> > the streets.  Anyone remember how much fun it was to install?
>
> Yeah.  I had to buy another disk (since it occupied an entire disk
> only, and i wasn't ready for getting rid of DOS by that time :), and
> to ``borrow'' a coprocessor from my employer that happened to sit
> around idling there. ;-) Later on, i've got very used to the idea of

I remember the huge stack of floppies it required! In those days
UK universities weren't very well connected to the internet and I
had to download the whole lot to a VAX box and then transfer it
across the campus lan to a pc and then copy it all onto floppies.
It was a fun time though. The ancestor of the if_lnc driver made
its first appearance for 386BSD 0.0 because my pc had very little
disk space and the first thing I wanted to do was NFS mount some
spare space from my Sun. Writing an ethernet driver for a barely
runnable kernel was serious fun :-)

--
  Dr Paul Richards, Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Internet: paul@originat.demon.co.uk