Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:39:56 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>, doc@FreeBSD.org, Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Subject:   Re: Translators: Need feedback on FAQ reorganization

On Monday, March 12, 2001, John Baldwin wrote:
> Err, he's just changing the layout in SGML for the first step, it should have
> zero effect on what the FAQ looks like once it is formatted.  This allows all
> the translators to know where to split it up into their respective individual
> files.  Once the actual split up is done, each of the chapters can be committed
> to with the normal rules.  Think of the faq.sgml split up as a bunch of
> whitespace commits.

   Glad I didn't have to follow up to each of your replies to one
another; this sums it up nicely.

   I can start over with the new FAQ work.  That's not a problem,
when you really think about the amount of work involved.  It's
mostly caring enough and having the patience to deal with Norm's
Spawn (modifications by Nik Clayton et. al.) known as DocBook.

   So far, from all the feedback, I think this is what everybody
really wants (despite what they said they  _think_ they want):

1. Create a new `install.sgml' (let's just use this as an example
   chapter).
2. Copy everything from <chapter> to </chapter>.
3. Add an entry to chapters.ent
4. Refer to the new SYSTEM entity in place of the old
   <chapter>..</chapter>
5. Commit.
6. Repeat until all chapters moved to their separate files.

   After that, moving questions out of inappropriate chapters
into the correct chapter, combining Q&A entries that mean
essentially the same thing (in a separate commit, I assume).
Finally, arranging the chapters in <part>..</part> groups, and
questions into <qandadiv>..</qandadiv> groups.

   This should not require any branch operations and in theory
will not leave any part of the FAQ unbuildable ("in theory"
leaves me room for a few minor screw-ups).

   General consensus?