Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2018 15:23:31 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk>
Cc:        Per olof Ljungmark <peo@nethead.se>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Orange Pi R1

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 3:04 PM, Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 19:32:56 +0200
> Per olof Ljungmark <peo@nethead.se> wrote:
>
>> Anyone tested FreeBSD on this one? It is a H2 Quad-core 32-bit
>> Cortex-A7.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> //per
>>

> Hi,
>
> Orange Pi R1 is basically the same board as Orange Pi Zero, just
> instead of USB connector there is USB ethernet chip connected directly.
> I already wrote to this list about it, FreeBSD runs on it just OK.
> Actually I am running r330553 based kernel on it, with some newer I
> have trouble with mounting root filesystem (mmc driver not attaching)
> which I did not investigated yet.
>
> Look in archive of this list, 19. 1. 2018, subject 'Orange Pi R1
> ethernet #2 + SDIO question', for info how to enable USB ethernet on it.

FYI- to quote the original e-mail of that thread:

> Most probably we are missing some initialization step. After finding
mention of GPIO pin 20 in some Linux DTS, I decided simply try

> # gpioctl -f /dev/gpioc0 20 1

> and voila, it works:

This part is no longer necessary as of r330554. We were initializing
things in an order such that the usbphy wasn't toggling this gpio. The
change was motivated by this board in particular and has been
confirmed working on this board, so you should be good to go with a
stock kernel and the appropriate DTB. The source for said DTB should
be pulled in within a couple weeks, though we won't build it by
default unless we have a board to test on.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans