Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:46:59 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Roelof Temmingh <roelof@didcot.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PCMCIA ethernet problem?

Regarding problems with PCMCIA controller / pccardd / Ethernetcard / FreeBSD

If anyone can help me out with this problem I would be MOST grateful. If I
made an obvious mistake, sorry for the junkmail...

I have the following configuration:

-Acer Extensa 355 notebook (P133MMX,32MBRAM)
-Cirrus Logic PD672X PCMCIA controller (reported by FreeBSD at boottime)
-Accton EN2216 PCMCIA ethernetcard

I did the following:

- Installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 from DOS partition.
- Compiled and installed the PCCARD kernel (supplied)
- edited the /etc/rc.conf file:
  - pccard_enable="YES"
  - pccard_mem="DEFAULT"
  - pccard_ifconfig="YES"
- made sure /etc/pccard.conf is OK
- started pccardd: pccardd -d (for debugging info)

When I insert my pccard, I get the following message:

date..blah....Card inserted, slot 0
..............pccardd[41]: No card in database from ""("")

So, I started playing around with pccardc.
I killed the pccardd, and issued a pccardc dumpcis - and got the following
output:

Configuration data for card in slot 0
Tuple #1, code - 0xff (Terminator), length = 0
2 slots found

I got the same results when the pccardd was running.

I also played around with the settings in /etc/pccard.conf, changed
interrupts, memory locations etc, but *nothing* is working. It seems to me (I
might well be wrong of course) that the problems lies at the pccard
controller - the Cirrus Logic. I cannot get the card information from the
pccard, therefore it cannot be matched to an entry in the /etc/pccard.conf,
and therefor it cannot ifconfig the interface.

I also used other pccards (3com etherlink III, Psion Goldcard, SMC
EliteCard) - no luck. I even reverted back to FreeBSD 2.2.5 - and had the
same results. I d/l and installed the PAO package, same effect.

I am at a dead end. If anyone can help me please do so!
I can be reached at:
 roelof@nanoteq.com