Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 1996 22:14:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Mark Hannon <mark@seeware.DIALix.oz.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More EIDE questions

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, Mark Hannon wrote:

> 1) I see in the handbook that VLB busses are OK but I can't
>    see how I should configure this for the kernel.  Do I just
>    use the isa0 entry??

Yes.  VL-Bus is an extension to ISA bus technology, and so shares the
same configuration, architecture, etc.

> 2) On the same line of questioning, what devices can I put on
>    the VLB bus?  I can either get a new EIDE controller to run
>    from the ISA bus or from one of the VLB slots.  I assume
>    that it is the same wdc[01] I use irrespective of which bus
>    I stick the card in???

Yes.  There are some FLAGS that you can enable to enable 32-bit
transfers, multi-sector transfers, et al, all increasing
performance/throughput.  FreeBSD is NOT compatible with EIDE (please
correct me if I'm wrong, but it says "EIDE IS NOT SUPPORTED" clearly in
the kernel configuration files), but at least several standard IDE VLB
controllers work beautifully.

> 3) I presently have two IDE HDs and am planning on buying a new
>    shiny one when I upgrade.  According to the salesman I should
>    be able to drive 4 HDs off an EIDE drive - Is this true for
>    FreeBSD??  Again how would I configure the kernel???  As two
>    controllers?? ie wdc0/wd0/wd1 and wdc1/wd2

Again, EIDE is not supported.  What you CAN do is get a Secondary IDE
controller, which is configured as wdc1, and then you can hang two drives
off each controller (wd0/wd1/wd2/wd3).

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **