Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:16:16 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        robert@webtent.com
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple CPUs

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:00:13PM -0500, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 14:54 -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:12:57PM -0500, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > > I guess this means my new server is only using one of my CPUs?
> > >=20
> > > esmtp# grep CPU /var/log/dmesg.today
> > > CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz (2399.33-MHz 686-class CPU)
> > >   Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs
> > > cpu0: <ACPI CPU (2 Cx states)> on acpi0
> > >=20
> > > Can someone point me to the best doc for enabling use of both CPUs on
> > > the FreeBSD 5.4 server? I assume the kernel needs built with options.
> >=20
> > FYI, hyperthreading is not a real CPU, and it seems to *really* hurt
> > performance on most workloads.  You'll probably benefit from not using
> > it.
>=20
> Yeah, I got the SMP option built into the kernel and still with less
> than 700 messages in the queue, very little else going on beside Postfix
> with amavis content filtering, my CPU idle is 0% most the time. This is
> on my freshly built FreeBSD 5.4 with dual Xeon 2.4 processors and a GB
> RAM. You think that could be related to HT? I will have to make a visit
> to the data center to remove in BIOS.

CPU idle time doesn't measure how well your system is performing, it
only tells you when it's reaching capacity in its current
configuration.  You need to compare how much work it can do
with/without HTT (e.g. how many messages can it process/hour, if you
have a more or less constant input?)

Kris

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz--