Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 12:25:29 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Subject:   Re: Stopping the bloody cross posting.

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 12:55:00PM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
[...]
> lists are handled by the same server. This header will also contain only
> "official" list names, for your convinience.

For your convenience, all messages contain a Message-id: header.  Now,
with great confidence and shutzpah, I urge you, please, use it!

> Then your filter is broken -- it tries to archive anything (or anything
> coming from freebsd.org). Let's not discuss actual implementation,

No, it's not broken.  It only grabs things the mailing-lists sends me.

> =This is still going to screw people who subscribe each -list to a
> =different address.  Eg. -hackers to freebsd-hackers@time.cdrom.com.
>
> This can, actually, be used to force hub to send copies -- for those
> who want it and are willing to waste some (cheap) local storage.

I don't own my own domain and can't create email addresses at will.
And no, I already rely on too many domains (freebsd.org, hwcn.org, and
my own local ISP) being available to get my mail -- adding another
such as hotmail.com will make my mail even more unreliable.

[Re: sorting on To: and Cc:]
> =Finally, those headers are not altogether reliable.
>
> Well, I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Look at the headers to this message.  It was also sent to -chat, but
you don't see that in the To: or Cc:.

> It is a _problem_ only when it's rampant. But it is always an anoyance.
> And resource-consuming. Not just hub's CPU, but the Internet bandwidth,
> people's disks, people's modems, and people's time too.

I can think of many things that are annoyances, or potential
annoyances...

[moved]
> No To:-header? So, majordomo removed it? Can you verify? I did
> not put anything into CC figuring you are subscribed to -chat.
> (I'm not, btw -- your CC are apreciated).

And this is one of them: people who have to (repeately) ask "Please
Cc: me your answer."  With proper -list policy such requests are not
necessary.

[And yes, majordomo removed it...it was only a temporary snafu on
jmb's part, though...otoh, it was well-timed]

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.