Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 16:55:48 -0500
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/etc/*.d...

I think having to change /etc/sysconfig to look in a place other than
/usr/local/etc/rc*, is, in my opinion, lame. Perhaps I'm in the minority, and,
if I am, please let me know - but EVERYTIME I've used FreeBSD for anything
short of showing someone that yes, their PC could run Unix, there were
multiple machines involved, and 98% of those cases required the sharing
of the /usr/local filesystem(s).

Of these 98%, 100% of the time, there was more than one "type" of
machine (ie a fileserver plus workstations, or a news server, web server,
user box, etc).

I just think that the default wasn't really well thought out. /etc/rc.local
isn't /usr/local/etc/rc.local, and /etc normally isn't shared between
machines. Therefore, I think if this new idea is scoped to replace an
aging /etc/rc.local, that it should least be backwards compatible enough
to not cause these types of headaches.
	-Brian