Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 06:52:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        unknown@riverstyx.net
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

> Do I look like Linus?  Well, lack of photo notwithstanding, I don't, but
> that's beside the point.  The large file patch has been available for
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> quite some time now, but it happens to be in beta -- I'm assuming that
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> nobody's found a significant need for it, or if they have they haven't
> given any feedback.  Since nobody's really talking about it, it's
> not really a priority, is it?  AFAIK, most of the kernel development in
> Linux has been in the networking area because that's where all the
> interesting development is right now.
>
> Regardless, a working solution does exist for Linux, and has existed for a
> while.  Why it's not in the distribution is a question for the source tree
> maintainers, so I'm not going to argue that further.

Then what is the reason for the maintainers not adopting some fixes?  The
need for large file support isn't a feature, it is a requirement.  Maybe
Linux isn't being used in the big applications that FreeBSD was 2-3yrs
ago?  I had LOTS of pressure to make it work, and am quite surprised that
Linus hasn't.  (That pressure was second only to JKH's pressure for my
bounce buffer hack.)

Patches aren't considered to be part of FreeBSD, and the existance of
a "patch" for a serious feature would be a short term matter only.  The
languishing of a serious patch for a long time questions the real use of
Linux in real (large) applications.  Chopping up files for database
applications is a hack, and an OS that forces that (esp one that is being
currently developed) has questionable guidance.

John