Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:40:49 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Daniel Mouritsen <daniel.mouritsen@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some questions from a newcomer

--==_Exmh_1173566449_91676P

> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:38:57 +0100
> From: Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>

> --LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp
>
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 03:23:49PM +0100, Daniel Mouritsen wrote:
> > I'm playing around with using freebsd for my home server (which used to u> se
> > linux), and I have a quick question regarding the distributions you can
> > select with sysinstall during the install phase.
> >
> > I've chosen developer(since i wish to use the ports packages, i figured
> > selecting developer might be a good idea to get gcc and such), user and
> > minimal.
>
> The C compiler is part of the base system. It is part of the required
> binary distributions.
>
> > The reason im asking is, all this server is gonna be running is apache, pf
> > and ntpd to handle the clock. I pretty much want to close down everything
> > else and make as minimal a system as possible. Any suggestions about the
> > layout of this machine? Is developer "overkill"?
>
> Could be. Why not use "custom" and choose what you want? I've marked the
> things that I'd recommend with an 'X'.
>
>     │ │ [X]  base      Binary base distribution (required)
>     │ │ [X]  kernels   Binary kernel distributions (require> d)
>     │ │ [ ]  dict      Spelling checker dictionary files
>     │ │ [X]  doc       Miscellaneous FreeBSD online docs
>     │ │ [ ]  games     Games (non-commercial)
>     │ │ [X]  info      GNU info files
>     │ │ [X]  man       System manual pages - recommended
>     │ │ [ ]  catman    Preformatted system manual pages
>     │ │ [ ]  proflibs  Profiled versions of the libraries
>     │ │ [X]  src       Sources for everything
>     │ │ [X]  ports     The FreeBSD Ports collection
>     │ │ [ ]  local     Local additions collection
>     │ │ [ ]  X.Org     The X.Org distribution
>
> If you won't be recompiling the kernel or system binaries you can forgo
> installing the source code ('src'). But in general I think it is a good
> idea to have the source handy, in case you want to build a custom kernel
> or want to patch a vulnerability.
>
> You can always restart sysinstall at a later date, and install
> additional stuff if you like.
>
> Things like apache are from ports, and you can install as little as you lik> e.
>
> > Also, i was wondering, i tried playing around with portsnap, but dear lord
> > it was slow :D I tried googling for European mirrors close to me, but i
> > haven't had much success, any help with finding a faster portsnap server
> > would be much appreciated
>
> The first time you invoke portsnap ('fetch extract'), it will be slow
> because it needs to download a lot. Subsequent invocations ('fetch
> update') will be much faster. I'm using portsnap from Europe, and it is
> usually faster than a csup from a european mirror.

I recommend NOT installing ports from the distribution media.

If you install this ports collection (which are certainly a bit out of
date) and then use csup (or cvsup) to bring it up to date, you may find
stale patch files hanging around as csup only knows to delete files it
created and will ignore any files already in the ports directory tree
which have since been deleted. This can lead to very interesting (and
unexpected behavior.

I simply install without ports and, as soon as I have the system up and
on the net, run csup to pull in the entire ports tree in clean form.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

--==_Exmh_1173566449_91676P