Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 17:51:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Donald J. Maddox" <dmaddox@scsn.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Inferno for FreeBSD.

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Donald J. Maddox wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Darren Davis wrote:
> >
> > > I was checking out the Inferno Web page http://inferno.lucent.com.  For
> > > those who are not familiar with this, it is a distributed OS/platform
> > > similar in concept to Java being developed at Bell Labs by the team that
> > > developed Plan 9.  Well, I saw that it was available for several Unix
> > > platforms as well as that Windows trash.  FreeBSD was not listed as one
> > > of the supported platforms.  So I decided to take the oportunity to use
> > > their suggestion link and put in the suggestion that they do a FreeBSD
> > > port.  Well, I got a response back from Phil Winterbottom (One of Bell
> > > Labs finest) stating that I was the first to make this request, and if
> > > there was enough interest in a FreeBSD port that they would do one.
> > > Well, are WE interested?  If so, use their suggestion box and lets get a
> > > FreeBSD port of Inferno.
> >
> > I checked out the web page, it looked interesting, so I sent a polite
> > message asking for a FreeBSD port.  I got a quick reply saying that one is
> > indeed planned.
>
>     That's interesting...  I inquired about this several days ago and
> got a
> quick reply saying that one was _not_ planned, as there seemed to be
> little
> demand.  Maybe your request tipped the scales... :-)

The reply wasn't ambiguous.  Here's the text of the reply:

[begin included text]
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 11:19:28 -0500
From: philw@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: chuckr@Glue.umd.edu

the binary distribution on free on the web allows you to
play with the system. In addition we are licensing source
to Universities at no charge.

A port to FreeBSD is planned.

phil
[end included text]

Now I have to see how hard it is to get this stuff from the University of
Maryland.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |