Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:12:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Mahlerwein <mahlerrd@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: / almost out of space just after installation

> From: Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
> Subject: Re: / almost out of space just after installation
> Date: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 4:00 PM
> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:28:08 -0700
> (PDT), Richard Mahlerwein <mahlerrd@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> According to your suggestion:
>=20
> > Drive > 16 and < 40 GB =3D=20
> > / =3D 1 GB
> > swap =3D 1.5x RAM=20
>=20
> I know that there was the idea of saying "swap =3D 2 x the maximum
> of RAM you could put into the box", but is this approach still
> valid today?

Unknown, but since most servers support more RAM than you are likely to put=
 in them*, I think it would make more sense to set swap to 2x the largest _=
likely_ amount of RAM (assuming the 2x rule IS good in a general sense).=A0=
 I seem to recall the reason for the 2x was a combination of reasons, but i=
t seemed the most important internally was because the memory management ro=
utines in place when the rule was created were built to be most effective a=
t that particular ratio.=A0 This was many, many years ago, and heaven knows=
 I could be totally wrong ... so some research may be warranted.

*The HP DL380 G6s we've been buying now support something like 128 GB.

> > Drive > 40 GB =3D=20
> > /var =3D 2 GB
>=20
> There could be a different requirement, especially when
> someone wants to run
> =A0=A0=A0 a) an anonymous FTP server (/var/ftp subtree)
> =A0=A0=A0 b) database operations (/var/db subtree)
> and have the /var sizes grow very fast. Of course, there's no
> problem putting databases and FTP stuff somewhere under
> /home (which is in /usr in your example).

Excellent point.=A0 I was trying to stay away from usage patterns, though, =
and just stick with predetermined items like "how much space do I have avai=
lable?".=A0 Once you get past that, you have an order of magnitude more thi=
ngs to consider, IMO.=A0=20

I think the most commonly increased partition would be /var.=A0 Again, I th=
ink something reasonably simple like being able to delete the last partitio=
n (we'll assume /home at the moment), then just "resize" /var to be bigger,=
 let all the intermediary partitions slide "up" and then recreating /home t=
o be whats left now would be simple and may work to handle these cases more=
 cleanly.=20

> > And, as long as this is a wish list, how about...
> >=20
> > 1) When I create, I would love to not to *always* have to
> > backspace over like 17 digits every time to type something
> > short like "16G".=A0 Can we just make it operate in MB or
> > something instead of blocks?=20
>=20
> There is an easier approach, I'd call it "overwrite with first
> keystroke". This is common for many dialog libraries, such as
> in Midnight Commander.=20

That would be stellar.=A0 I hadn't even realized it but so many things (in =
all *sorts* of places!) use that method.=A0 A quick glance at the code that=
 seems to be responsible for the keystroke handling (/usr/src/gnu/lib/libdi=
alog/lineedit.c) seems to indicate it's fairly stateless - it doesn't seem =
to know things like if the dialog still has the oroginal input values in it=
 or if you've already typed something.=A0 Also, changes here may affect all=
 sorts of things (since it's as far from /usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/ as y=
ou can get, tree-wise).

> Maybe Meta-Backspace (Esc, then Backspace) would
> be available to erase the whole content of the input field
> as you suggested in 1.2.

This would be fairly easy to implement, I think.=A0 Unfortunately, I would =
feel horrible for implementing something like this when there's so many ser=
ious bugs in sysinstall.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?text=3Dsysinstall
I wonder if the delete key, when pressed at the end of the input, would do?=
=A0 Seems like a magic key, but on the other hand, it also seems pretty inn=
ocuous.=A0=20

I'm still thinking that using MB or GB as the default might be easier.

> Maybe this is a nice item for a dialog wishlist for
> sysinstall. :-)

I couldn't agree more.=A0 Does anyone really know what the plans for either=
 sysinstall or a replacement is?=A0 There's a ton of bugs in it...

> --=20
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0