Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2013 17:40:03 -0400
From:      Robert Burmeister <Robert.Burmeister@UToledo.edu>
To:        <office@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   SOLVED - ports/176269: editors/libreoffice 3.6.5_2 does not start on i386

I have been recompiling my system, and have discerned the following results:

I was using
WITH_SYSTEM_CLANG=YES in /etc/make.conf
to build FreeBSD 9.1 i386 and all ports.

When Clang 3.0 was upgraded to Clang 3.1_1 in the base system
I encountered the problem of libreoffice 3.6.5_2 building but not starting.

Upgrading to libreoffice 4.0.1 resulted in the same problem.

Setting WITH_SYSTEM_CLANG=NO in make.conf and rebuilding with port build Clang
3.2 resolved the problem.

This bug is particularly insidious as the user configured settings did not
change when things broke,
and must be changed to resolve the regression in base system Clang 3.1_1.

I have come across many posts of people confused by this problem;
a note somewhere is in order.