Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 2003 20:45:04 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Randi Harper <sektie@freebsdgirl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

At 08:07 PM 9/1/2003, Randi Harper wrote:

>My mom runs FreeBSD. ;)

Good for her! So does my wife, who is an artist and not technical.

But she runs text consoles THROUGH a Windows machine.

>A desktop of it's own? Let's clarify something here. Having something like gnome or KDE doesn't qualify something as being a 'desktop' or not. Surely you can recall the days before gnome and KDE were popular. What did we use then? Window Maker? Enlightenment? KDE was somewhat popular, but it didn't have the momentum it has now. Yes, those are aimed at the Linux people. And for what it's worth, let them have it. gnome and KDE are the toilet paper of the stinky gas station bathroom that is X11, in my opinion.

Yes, X11 is awkward and messy to build on. I do think that Apple's approach,
which scuttles X11 as a foundation for a UNIX GUI, is the right way to go.
(I have heard, however, that they will have a built-in X server in the next
version of OS X, so they will be able to interoperate with UNIX code that
relies on X11.)

>GTK, an integral part of gnome, works fine in FreeBSD. Instead of people just sitting on their butts and whining 'I need a GUI, I need things to click on, I want something that does stuff for me so I can be a freaking moron but still be able to brag about my uname -a on IRC', wouldn't it make sense to code one?

It'd be better to start with something that's not GPLed, so that one was
not planting yet another GPL poison pill within BSD. I and my employees will
not even look at GPLed source, due to the legal problems this can cause a
programmer who sometimes codes for money.

--Brett Glass