Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:28:30 +0100
From:      Martin Heinen <martin@sumuk.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Question 6.3 of 'Dialup firewalling with FreeBSD'

The answer to question 6.3 in 'Dialup firewalling with FreeBSD'
states that it is impossible to filter RFC-1918 addresses on
the outside interface.  Ok, it states 'The simple answer is no.',
but the article should provide a long answer.

Possible solutions:

1) Include the relevant section from the 'simple' setup of
   /etc/rc.firewall, that is first stop RFC-1918 nets on the outside
   interface, then do NAT (divert rule);  remove question 6.3.

   Although this is the correct approach (IMHO), this will double the
   size of the firewall rulebase and readers may have difficulties to
   follow the article.

2) The answer to question 6.3 provides the relevant section of
   /etc/rc.firewall and where to plug it in.

3) We could refer the reader to /etc/rc.firewall but this seems to
   circumvent the purpose of the article.

If no one objects I'll send-pr solution 1).

Martin

--
Marxpitn