Date:      Tue, 02 May 2000 18:55:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.org, tcole@wcug.wwu.edu, insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net, "William A. Carrel" <cysgod@carrel.org>
Subject:   Re: RE:

On 02-May-00 Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:
>> Actually, the problem seems to be that regardless of the desires
>> of anyone on #freebsd, #freebsd serves as a representative of
>> the FreeBSD project because of its name.  The op's and other people
>> can insist that "no, it isn't", but their opinion doesn't count. :)
>> The opinion that counts in this is the opinion of the public.
>
> I don't think so.  I think the opinion that counts in this is the opinion of
> the people with ops.  If I owned #windows on EfNet and Microsoft or Windows
> users came in and told me they didn't like my channel rules, I'd tell them
> to lodge their complains firmly up their anus.  Now, I know the people in
>#freebsd are alot better people than that, but you can't expect that they're
> going to bow to everyone's whim.

You are missing the point.  This isn't about you, this is about what's
best for the project.  Just because you can make a total jerk of yourself
doesn't mean that doing so is in the best interest of the project.  Please,
if you want to use that logic, then go jump off a cliff and do us all a
favor.  Really, the point is that if we want to put on a professional face
for the project and further it, we have to act like it.  That can mean
that #freebsd will behave differently than other IRC channels.  Just because
everyone else does something, we don't have to sink to the same level.

>> grow up guys.  If you want FreeBSD to go nowhere and be your private
>> playtoy, fine, but I'm not satisfied with that.  I think this project
>> has great potential in the marketplace, but it needs to act
>> professionally in all matters, and whether you like it or not, that
>> includes #freebsd.
>
> You honestly think that having a polite IRC channel is that big of a factor
> in having FreeBSD grow ?  You have to be kidding me.

It counts for something.  I actually get out and see people day to day
that haven't decided yet if they are going to go with FreeBSD or something
else.  Did you completely miss my story above that you snipped about how
my helping out on an IRC channel actually encouraged some guy to go with
FreeBSD?  How many people have you kicked and told to f*** off and had them
come back and say "oh thanks, now I really want to use FreeBSD".

>> To summarize: to the #freebsd people: Your opinion doesn't matter!
>
> To summarize to you and anyone else who mistakenly thinks otherwise.  If you
> don't have ops, your opinion does not matter.  #freebsd is not yours simply
> because you run FreeBSD.  Apparently you don't understand how IRC works.

 [18:43][@BigKnife(+i) [Mail: 1] [#freebsd(+nst)]

As you can see, I am an op on #freebsd.  But really, that is not the main
point.  The main point is about changing an attitude to do what's best for
the project when we are bearing the project's name, whether we like it or
not.