Date:      Sat, 31 May 2003 05:24:29 -0800
From:      "Jason Stryker" <jstryker@petml.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Something needs to change in FreeBSD land

Gentlemen,

I hope we haven't already forgotten when Matt Dillon's commit bit was
removed.
Something needs to change in the way politics are handled in FreeBSD. Let
me
quote Chris G Demetriou for a moment:

"When i think of "politics," i think of Jordan Hubbard, flat out lying
about what's in, or going to be in, FreeBSD, or what the system can
do, or what's wrong with the system.  (worth noting: I've come to
understand Kolstad, even see him as a reasonable person.  I see jordan
as a _liar_, period.)  _that's_ not the game that we, or i, play."

Even thought Jordan is now a non-player in the core team, others have
(unfortunately) been following his style. So we actually have two
problems
here: a) core doesn't work as it should. b) a pretty significant number
of
committers not only don't do anything useful but make it hard for others
work.

We essentially have extremely talented people willing to contribute to
the
community, e.g. Kris, Joe Marcus, knu@, tobez@, ru@, alane@, and many
others
I forget now. Then we have a second class of committers, people who,
while
talented, are a total pain in the ass to deal with: obrien, phk, bosko,
dougb, des.
Then we have people who don't contribute anything and love to flame:
billf, alfred,
Michael Shitsack (the one who, together with Bill Fuckerola, made asmodai
resign),
and some others. At last we have the clueless morons, people with no clue
that no
one knows why they're there: Scott 'top posting' Long and Hiten 'irc
howto' Pandya.

If you don't want your nice FreeBSD to turn into a crap, second class OS,
something
needs to be done. I myself am already running NetBSD and OpenBSD only,
and encourage
you to do the same. FreeBSD tries to be the be all end all nowadays,
trying to play
catch up with NetBSD on portability (nowhere near when it comes to clean
code) and
with OpenBSD on security, while trying to get some media attention by
selling itself
as Linux/GNU equivalent.

Thank you.
--