Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 01:02:11 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making the snoop device loadable.

John Baldwin wrote:

> On 09-Jul-00 Adam wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >
> >>In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0007091411480.407-100000@turtle.looksharp.net>, A
    dam

> >>You have always needed to babysit your root password.
> >
> > Ok, I give in to the argument.  I would just like to make a wish.  On Jan
> > 24 1999 peter took the NO_LKM option out of LINT.  I assume the support
> > for it in other files was removed around that time also.  Could someone
> > implement a NO_KLD option so you dont need to use securelevel > 0 so
> > people have an obvious option and dont have to know the kernel well enough
> > to hack syscalls.master?
>
> Patches accepted. :)  Seriously, if you come up with a patchset
> I'll look at it and see about getting it in the tree.

NO_LKM was different.  The LKM subsystem was always an "add-on" system.
NO_LKM got changed to 'options LKM' which meant you had to choose to
activate it.  Once LKM became obsolete, it went away entirely.

KLD however is built into the very core of the system.  Most of the
kernel subsystems are standalone KLD modules linked into a single file and
use the module registration system to activate themselves.  You cannot
just remove it.

At best, you could prevent kldload() from working.  However, that does not
stop loader(8) preloading the files, which completely bypasses the
kldload(2) syscall.  Just add 'load /hack/myfile.ko' >> /boot/loader.conf
and you are set.

Cheers,
-Peter