Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:35:00 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Steve Price <steve@havk.org>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps(1) output Q

Steve Price wrote:
> Here's a really stupid question but something I've wondered for a long
> time.  Why is it that the output of ps(1) on the Alpha always looks like
> this?
>
>   PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
> 77337  p0  Ss     0:00.21  (csh)
> 78179  p0  R+     0:00.00  (ps)
>
> While on the x86 it look like this?
>
>   PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
> 80796  p0  Is+    0:00.04 zsh
> 14534  r5  I+     3:48.99 mutt -y
>
> Can anyone point out what I'm obviously missing besides a clue? :)

This is a 4.x bug in the ps and psargs sysctls.  I fixed this in -current
some time ago.  If you dont have /proc mounted (eg: on the axp* cluster)
then ps does silly things.

It was something silly like a SYSCTL_INT() pointing to a long or vice versa
and/or libkvm having a different size to what the kernel had.

I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers,
-Peter