Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:01:09 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strip FreeBSD a bit

Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org> wrote:

> rewrite cvsup and portupgrade in C or C++, then I think these tools
> could go in.

This is actually happening, sort of, for cvsup.

Masahide Maekawa has created cvsync (ports/net/cvsync), a designated
replacement for cvsup, written in plain C, with POSIX threads as
the only noteworthy requirement.  So far cvsync still misses checkout
mode, but otherwise it already provides equivalent functionality
to cvsup.  It isn't compatible with cvsup, though.

I don't expect FreeBSD users to flock to cvsync anytime soon, since
FreeBSD has an extensive cvsup infrastructure and hardly anybody
runs FreeBSD on a platform where cvsup isn't available.  There is
more pressure in the NetBSD and OpenBSD camps, where cvsup is not
very entrenched and availability across a wide range of platforms
is a significant concern.

Once cvsync is feature complete and development settles down, I
expect a push to import it into the respective base systems.