Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 21:57:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, terry@lambert.org, stesin@gu.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Lex/Yacc question

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> > IMHO, the original papers are still the best general texts on lex and yacc;
> > they can be found in the 4.4-Lite distribution under /usr/share/doc/psd.
>
> I find flex.info and bison.info to be very helpful. Even the man page
> for flex is sufficiently complete to get you going.
>
> FYI, flex is a superior replacement for lex, while bison is a superior
> replacement for yacc (IMCO :-).

That's a fact.  Lots of stuff in the flex man page that you won't find in
the original lex docs, I couldn't have done my last class project without
it.  Among other things, flex doesn't need the lex library like the
original lex did, and the stuff on how to parse strings directly (for
snazzy macro processing) didn't exist in lex.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |