Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:23:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        jyoung@accessus.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, mdickerson@officeonweb.net
Subject:   Re: sendmail NOQUEUE: Null connection from some.domain [a.b.c.d]

On 14 Dec, Jason Young wrote:

> A "null connection" is when sendmail gets a connection to its TCP port, and
> sends its banner, and the remote client either A) closes the connection
> without doing anything or B) issues only the QUIT command, which closes the
> sendmail connection immediately.

There's als a C):
 If MS Exchange Ver ? tries to deliver mail to a 3-stable (sendmail)
 machine. It's reproduceable (here), the mail didn't gets delivered,
 sendmail reports a null connection. I'm not able to tell you more about
 the configuration of Exchange, it's not our system.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
               Speak softly and carry a cellular phone.

  GPG fingerprint = 7423 F3E6 3A7E B334 A9CC  B10A 1F5F 130A A638 6E7E