Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:07:58 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tell the world about Year 2000 Compliance

> Finally, what's being done (if any?) to insure that FreeBSD _IS_ and
> _REMAINS_ Year 2000 compliant... e.g. New packages/ports etc.

The non-use of Cobol. :)

Seriously, almost all unix programs store times/date as milliseconds
since 1970, so they don't have a Y2K problem, but they have the Year
2038 problem.  However, it's hoped that by the time this comes about the
number used to store the time will be bumped to a much bigger #, making
the problem go away.

However, if that doesn't happen *OR* the programs in question aren't
recompiled, the problem will be the same for them in 2038.  However, by
then I won't care since I'll be old and grey. :) :) :)

Nate