Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:44:35 -0800
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com, security@tomco.net
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ultra 5 workstation announcement

>From security@tomco.net  Wed Jan 28 08:31:53 1998
>
>If the "Sun driver writer" is going to be yelled at I think his time would
>be better spent developing a concatenated disk driver that would allow
>software based RAID 0 (disk striping) across two or more adaptec 2940UW
>controllers.  I have flawlessly cycled about 4GB per day for a year on my
>FreeBSD PC server running innd1.5 with this technology and it is a
>beautiful thing!

You're asking for three things here:

1) Metadisk driver (concatenate/stripe/mirro). This has been available
from Sun for years (not bundled- this is the md driver part of
Online Disk Suite).

2) Adaptec hba driver. I've already done my share of dismay and
yelling at Sun on this issue. What the hell's the point of going
to PCI if you don't do the damn card drivers for the top 10 cards?
There is *some* movement in the ROUTE66 program to get the
drivers out, but it sure ain't bundled.

3) "Soft" RAID. Oh- you meant RAID0? Well, I think soft RAID III or V
would be more useful- particularly if you port to 8way sun4d or sun4u.

In any case, none of the above is likely to be within the province
of the poor schmo I'm thinking of.

In any case, this is pointless, as *BSD on a SPARC (and will someone
answer why FreeBSD && NetBSD aren't the same project?) already has
plenty of the above in various instantiations (e.g., the DPT RAID/SCSI
and the ccd device and Justin's very fine work with the AIC chipsets..)

-matt