Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 13:13:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        paul@originat.demon.co.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Anniversary

Paul Richards wrote:

> j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:
>

> > As Guy Helmer wrote:
> >
> > > It's been five years this month since FreeBSD's ancestor, 386BSD 0.0, hit
> > > the streets.  Anyone remember how much fun it was to install?
> >
> > Yeah.  I had to buy another disk (since it occupied an entire disk
> > only, and i wasn't ready for getting rid of DOS by that time :), and
> > to ``borrow'' a coprocessor from my employer that happened to sit
> > around idling there. ;-) Later on, i've got very used to the idea of
>
> I remember the huge stack of floppies it required! In those days
> UK universities weren't very well connected to the internet and I

	huge stack of floppies
	386/25-sx
	80MB scsi disk (stiction ridden, dont power down)
	st-02 scsi card (glen overby wrote a driver)
	downloading the distribution over 9600 baud modem
		in the early morning (this was the corporate
		internet connection used to get 5kbps on ftp
		by noon it was down to 900bps)
	but by God, it worked!

jmb

ps.	and then there was the patchkit ;))