Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:03:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rich Wilson <wk633@yahoo.com>
To:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Books on FreeBSD and local libraries

--- Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net> wrote:

> There are often people who are paid to buy books.
>
> I would imagine that they might resent outsiders
> determining what is in the library's collection.

Certainly not at the library I worked at, and I highly doubt at any.  I mean,
yes, buying books is one of the things paid staff do, but I can't imagine a
librarian resenting a member of the public providing input on what should be in
the library's collection.  Just so long as you don't assume that requesting
"Yak Breeding for Dummies" will mean they will buy it.

Technology books in particular can be difficult, because they have a short
life-span, and because librarians don't always have the expertise to shop for
good ones.  There may be other barriers, such as CD processing, confusion over
copyright etc.  The best thing to do is talk to the library.  Find out who is
in charge of purchasing, and ask what you can do to get books of your choice on
the shelf.  Request? Donate?  They might even appreciate advice on which books
are old and outdated and should be weeded.

Libraries often work on tight budgets, and welcome all the help they can get,
just as long as you don't think that paying taxes entitles you to run the
library.

=====
:    __o
:   -\<,