Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:25:46 -0500
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard lockup with USB speakers after an hour

I'm trying to diagnose and fix a problem I'm having with my
USB audio. After some difficulty getting things set up, I had
managed to understand what I needed to do to get everything
working. Now, when I listen to USB speakers, everything will
work fine for an hour or so, and then I'll get a freeze so
total that I can only fix it by pulling the power cord and
battery out of my laptop. There doesn't seem to be anything
specific that triggers this (it's not caused by adjusting the
volume, or switching back to a different output device, it
just happens in the middle of audio being played). There's
nothing logged in /var/log/messages.

What can I do to further diagnose this, and fix it? I'm
running FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE on an IBM ThinkPad X23; the
speakers attach at pcm1.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower