Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:25:25 +1100
From:      Andy Newman <atrn@zeta.org.au>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More important Windows Refund Day coverage...

> Greg Lehey said:
> >
> > To be fair to rms, if GNU is communist (and there's a lot going for
> > that theory; I've proposed it myself.  Funnily, rms wasn't amused),
> > then FreeBSD is anarchist.  That didn't work in society either.
> >
> I don't *quite* agree with the characterization that FreeBSD is
> anarchist.  Actually, from a development standpoint (which is
> where GPL and BSD MOSTLY differ), the BSD approach optionally
> allows for ownership of ones own investment into derived
> works.

I think both are capitalist, or at least both methods rely upon
the idea of ownership of something (I just posted about this so
I'm all revved up about it....excuse me :). Both the BSD license
and GPL allow owners of something to control how it may be used.
Both allow individual to own things and even to profit and make
private capital from them. There's no similarity to (the theoretically
perfect) communism where the state owns everything and people worked
for the public good etc... The two licenses are just methods of
distributing something you own. Both enforce various restrictions
on the user (with the GPL being rather more restrictive and over-
stepping the boundaries by restricting the licensing available to
users of GPL'd things to essentially the GPL).

> GPL seems to ignore the value in the sense of
> capital.  That GPL helps the merchandising from the standpoint
> that the derived code *has* to be exposed under certain
> terms, at the expense of the people with mostly development
> skills.

Well it (GPL) forces the public exposure and lack of ownership of
intellectual property. It limits the capital available to a person.
It doesn't say you can't own expressions of intellectual property.
But does restrict how others can use your expressions and forces the same
restrictions on them (only a little thing ! :). So trade secrets go
to hell with the GPL. As do patents. Leaving you only with copyright
to protect the ownership of your work and that only counts for the
expression of an idea and not the idea itself which blows a big chunk
out of the available means to generate capital in our changing economy.

In summary: I guess you're right.