Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 2015 10:17:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Matthew Seaman" <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ OT ]  recommendations for a domain_name registrar

On Mon, July 20, 2015 11:48 pm, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 2015/07/21 05:08, spellberg_robert wrote:
>> all that i need is a registrar , with
>>   a reasonable price for a ten_year lease on each name ,
>>   easy transfer [ actually , i expect ns to be the problem , here ] and
>>   no grief .
>
> gandi.net are my goto company for DNS registrations.  Can't praise them
> highly enough.  Only problem, from your point of view, is that they are
> a French company, but you can pay for everything in US$ on their site.
>
> Oh, and they will throw in use of their nameservers free of charge with
> the purchase of any domain.  (Mind you, that's standard for anyone in
> the business of domain registration nowadays.)

The more everybody praises gandi.net, the more I'm willing to describe my
own experience. One of people we were sending e-mail to has domain hosted
by them and appears to use their mail servers for his domain. The person
is "RFC ignorant" (which is OK as this is not how he earns his living), so
I will leave out some details. When our server was sending this person
e-mail, we were getting the following bounce message:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: host
spool.mail.gandi.net[217.70.184.6] said: 553 5.7.1
<xxxxxxxx@oddjob.uchicago.edu>: Sender address rejected: Bad NS record (in
reply to RCPT TO command)

I left out recipient, and sender, the only relevant here is my server
name: oddjob.uchicago.edu. If someone inspects my server DNS records I
will appreciate any pointers to their inconsistency ;-) I, however, find
them in good order. That said: the diagnostics on the side of gandi.net is
bogus (you can not extract any information from that). Attempt to send
e-mail to postmaster@[hosted at gandi domain] to clear the matters is not
accepted, which is a violation of RFC (what is relevant RFC number?). So,
all in all my impression about gandi.net is... you can imagine which. I
shouldn't probably apply to them "RFC ignorant" clause but rather to their
user, still cryptic bounce message is gandi.net's central mail system
doing. Latest installation of thunderbird mail client trying to make
everybody at first start get gandi.net e-mail address yet even more sets
me off.

Just my $0.02

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev